One of the most promising studies on the effectiveness of treating acne with CBD was published in The Journal of Clinical Investigation Trusted Source, which demonstrated CBD’s power in stopping the processes known to cause acne, such as excess oil buildup and it showed to have anti-inflammatory effects on oil-producing glands. More importantly, it also showed to have NO significant side effects. Which is huge, considering that the vast amount of patients that undergo acne treatments often suffer from very serious side effects.
Acne has and is currently being treated with Isotretinoin, which is an effective treatment for acne, but comes at a very high price, taking into consideration the very serious side effects that may come with the treatment. These side effects are listed below:
- Dry skin and lips
- Fragile (easily injured) skin, itching or rash.
- Increased sensitivity to the sun (easily sunburned).
- Peeling skin on your palms and soles.
- Thinning hair.
- Dry, red eyes (you may find that you can’t wear your contact lenses during treatment).
- Bleeding gums.
- Pain in your muscles.
- Vision problems such as decreased night vision.
A few people have even more serious side effects. If these problems aren’t treated, they could last even after you stop taking isotretinoin.
- Headaches, nausea, vomiting, or blurred vision.
- Depression or changes in your mood, such as feelings of sadness or irritability.
- Unusual tiredness or lack of appetite.
- Severe stomach pain, diarrhea, or bleeding from your rectum.
- Very dry eyes.
- A yellow color in your skin or eyes, and dark yellow urine.
You can’t take isotretinoin if you are pregnant or if there is any chance you might get pregnant while taking this treatment. I can cause the following severe birth defects:
- Malformation of the head and face.
- Intellectual disability.
- Severe internal defects of the brain, heart, glands, and nervous system.
- Can cause miscarriage, premature birth, or death of the fetus.
Considering these devastating side effects that may occur by using isotretinoin, it seems that the outcome does not compensate the risks the user might undergo.
CBD, considering the exceptional proof of its use for treating acne, does by far ,seem to be the most natural and safest method of treatment.